Saturday, March 12, 2011

Useful Korean Expressions - 펜팔 Penpal


Do you prefer an email or a snail mail? :)
I personally like getting an actual letter more! It takes longer but it's always worth the wait! yay!
I keep in touch with my penpals by sending emails or actual letters to them :D  Isn't it exciting to check out your mail box everyday waiting for letters from abroad? :P




Letters from my friends are like vitamins to me :D If you like writing (email is also fine!) , reading or sharing your thoughts with people (maybe with Korean for you ;P), I recommend you to make some penpals!
I am sure you will learn a lot from doing it since we talk about anything! Cultures, school system, jobs, music, and even languages :)


Today, I will tell you basic sentences you might want to write or ask on your mail :D ( Some are actually from the mistakes my pals made hehe)

1. 괜찮으시면 주소를 가르쳐주시겠어요? If it's okay for you, may I get your address?

Similar expressions you can also say are
주소를 알려주세요. 주소를 알려주시겠어요? 주소가 뭐에요? (informal)

2. 제가 먼저 보낼게요. I will start if off first.

If you decided to do a snail mail, you can use this expression :)

3. 편지를 받는데 얼마나 걸렸어요? How long did it take to get the letter?

This one also. It depends on where you live and where your penpals live, but from my expriences, it takes about 10 days to get a letter from abroad. If you live in Seoul, it takes shorter like a week? Still too long? hehe

4. (드디어) 편지를 받아서 정말 기뻐요. I'm so happy to (finally) get your letter!

One grammar point here is ~해서 ~ 하다. 원인과 결과 (reason and the result)

ex) 배가 불러 행복하다. I feel happy because I'm full. hahah Is this only me?  저만 그런가요?ㅎ
공부를 많이해서 머리가 아프다. I feel headache since I studied too much.
어젯밤 술을 많이 마셔서 속이 쓰리다. My stomach hurts since I drank too much last night.

5. 꼭 답장해 주세요. 답장 기다릴게요! Please write me back! I will look foward to hearing from you!



9 comments:

  1. 또 수고 많이 했네
    고마웜

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.: Why is your English voice like 2 octaves below your Korean voice? I like your English voice better hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha yeah! why is that? I don't know why either lol hm.... I think it's becuz I try to put less stress when saying the translations (the english part), and speak SLOWLY and PRECISELY when speaking Korean.
    does it makes sense? ㅋㅋㅋㅋ 이상해

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your blog. It's awesome. Ha Ha.
    Seems to be very interesting and a good help for learning Korean.
    I'm new here and I'm looking for nice blogs. Yours is one of that kind. :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. xy_hyc @ you mean how we can make penpals?
    펜팔을 어떻게 만드냐구요?
    there are many websites made for that purpose :D
    펜팔을 만드는 목적으로 만들어진 싸이트들이 많이 있어요~

    ReplyDelete
  6. 도로뽕@ 그렇게 말해줘서 고마워요! thank you for the comliment :D I'm glad you like my blog~ Sadly, I am on my midterms, so I haven't put any new post thesedays, but I will as soon as the exams end :D
    it's random! lol so check out the blog from time to time :D peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yup!!
    do you have any recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are very useful expressions. Thank you!

    ~Aloha Ducky
    www.alohaducky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete